PPS Planning | News


Here you will find the latest news in planning and general advice.

By pps-planning, Jul 7 2014 10:06AM

Calling landowners, developers, agents and residents of Tameside.....

Your local council wants to know if you would like to suggest sites for housing development.

This is because the Council is required by the government to identify land to meet the borough’s housing needs over the next 15 years. Government policy requires the Council to identify sites and broad locations and it to ensure a five year supply exists at all times. Sites need to ‘deliverable’ i.e., suitable, developable and available.

The Council has already identified some sites through a Strategic Housing Land Assessment but it needs to update this to identify its 5 year supply and to inform its Development Plan which will allocate sites for housing.

Therefore landowners are invited to suggest sites which are well located and suitable for housing.

Further information can be obtained from the Council’s web site but if you want to suggest a site and need help in making your representations to the Council, contact PPS Planning.

Remember, the best way to realise the development value of your site is to have it identified as part of the Council’s supply or allocated in the Development Plan.

There is not much time for making representations. These must be submitted no later than 5pm Monday 4th August 2014.

By pps-planning, Nov 2 2012 11:07AM

The Government says it wants to boost housebuilding and the economy and expects local Councils to take a lead role in identifying land to deliver new housing. Making sure there is sufficient housing land of the right type, in the right places and at the right time, will be a real challenge for Councils. This will be all the more challenging as landowners housebuilders, communities and infrastructure agencies will have their own view as to what constitutes an a suitable site and an adequate supply.

So what is the challenge? National planning policy requires Councils to identify and keep an up-to-date a deliverable five year supply of housing land. (National Planning Policy Framework, para 47). In addition, the government expects Councils to include an additional buffer of 5% so that the 5 year supply includes land to accommodate an additional 5% extra homes over the period. Furthermore, where Councils have a record of poor delivery of housing, local planning authorities should increase the buffer to 20% to provide a realistic prospect of achieving the planned supply and to ensure choice and competition in the market.

Not only do Councils have to identify the 5 year land supply, they must also show that the land identified is:

• available;

• in a suitable location; and

• achievable and viable (i.e. there should be a realistic prospect that housing will be built within five years).

Without a constant five year supply, local planning policies for the supply of housing will be considered out of date (National Planning Policy Framework, para 49). Therefore, if a planning authority fails to identify a supply, they may be forced to accept housing applications in locations normally considered unsuitable, most likely through the appeals process where the decision is taken out of the Council’s hands and made by a government planning inspector or the Secretary of State. A recent appeal decision makes this clear. In July 2012, the Secretary of State agreed with an Inspector to allow an appeal for 1,000 dwellings on two sites in Tewkesbury at Bishop’s Cleeve, Gloucestershire.

To establish availability, suitability and viability, market demand etc., Councils have to carry out technical assessments (for example, a Strategic Housing Market Assessment (SHMAA), a Housing Land Availability Assessment (SHLAA), and Affordable Housing Economic Viability Assessments (AHEVA))

Developers, landowners, communities and infrastructure agencies are all invited to participate in the identification of housing land through consultation on assessments, call for sites*1 and Local Plans.

Professional consultancy support can assist you if:

• you are a landowner or developer and need help with putting forward a site for inclusion in a plan or in response to a ‘call for sites’, or need help with a planning application.

• you are an individual or community and wish to make a case for developing a site, opposing a housing site, or need help making representations on a Local Plan

• you are an agency, voluntary organisation or local planning authority and need help with site appraisals or Local Plan representations or other related support.

*1 ‘A call for sites’ is an consultation which your Local Planning Authority will carry out asking you to help them identify sufficient land to meet their housing and employment requirements over the next fifteen years. (See my blog on the Tameside ‘call for sites’). Submissions require maps and supporting information.

By pps-planning, Aug 21 2012 09:18AM

All over the country local planning authorities are urgently preparing Local Plans to identify land for different types of development (such as housing, industrial, commercial and retail development) as well as land to be protected from development.

They are doing this for two main reasons:

1. because they are required to show how they will meet their housing and employment needs over the next 15 years; and

2. because they want to ensure that areas that have amenity, landscape, wildlife or other conservation value are not harmed by inappropriate development.

The Local Plan must be prepared in consultation with landowners, developers, a wide range of local and national bodies and the local community. It is important to get involved in its preparation because it will set the framework against which all planning applications will be considered,. A planning application that does not accord with the Local Plan allocations or policies is not likely to be successful. Also, an objection to a planning application that is in accordance with the plan will normally carry little weight.

Whether you are looking to develop land, or promote development in an area or you wish to see land left undeveloped there has never been a better time for submitting your views to the local planning authority.

Before publishing a Local Plan, many authorities have or will be carrying out a ‘call for sites’ consultation exercise. Landowners, developers and communities can suggest sites that should be developed or sites that should be protected from development. This is your chance to have your say at an early stage.

So how do I go about putting forward my site or suggestion?

The local authority will normally publicise a ‘call for sites’ on their web site or write to you if you have already expressed an interest with them. You can submit maps and information for them to consider.

However, to persuade the planning authority to allocate your site or identify it as having development potential, you should:

• show how development fits with the authority’s broad planning strategy and national planning policies (National Planning Policy Framework);

• set out any local benefits and how it will sit with adjoining uses; and

• show that the land is suitable and viable for development.

Don’t worry if the call for sites has passed or hasn’t started; you can submit a case any time until the plan is published. But don’t delay because the government is pressing all local planning authorities to get up-to-date plans in place in the next 12 months.

If you need help, go to a chartered town planner (member of the Royal Town Planning Institute) or better still, contact me (Paul) for a chat right now on 0161 665 2492 or email me at paul@pps-planning.co.uk

Potential site allocation
Potential site allocation
RSS Feed

Web feed